My great-uncle Bill Putman married Sibyl Carden. Since my grandfather and grandmother died before I was born, Bill and Sibyl acted like grandparents to us. They never had any children of their own. They took care of my great-grandfather, J.M. Putman, until he died in 1960. We spent many weekends and holidays at their home north-east of Pea Ridge. According to my father, Jerry Putman, the land was part of the old Carden homestead, that Bill bought from Sibyl's father. The Carden home still stands (barely) in the field near Bill's house.
Carden Photo GenealogyBack to Main
- 1-1 James Carden (1747 - 1842) married Elizabeth Fuller (1763 - 1830)
- James Carden (son of Robert James Carden and Phyllis Woolbank/Willbank) was born 1756 in Goochland Cty, VA, and died 1842 in Coffee Co. TN. He married Elizabeth Fuller on 20 Jan 1784 in Granville Co., N.C., daughter of Ezekiel Fuller and Fanny Moody. He moved from Goochland Cty., VA to Orange Carolina. After 1805, He moved to Franklin Co., Tn and then to Coffee Co., TN. He is buried in Carden Cemetery, Manchester, TN (Records of James A Jones 681 Matts Hollow Rd. Manchester 9520). Tombstone reads "James Carden Grand Parent The oldest". reference
- 2-1 Mary Carden
- 2-2 John Carden (1784 - 1834)
- 2-3 James J Carden (1786 - 1855)
- 2-4 Polly Carden (1792 - Unknown)
- 2-5 Frances Fannie Carden (1794 - 1860)
- 2-6 Martha Carden (1795 - Unknown)
- 2-7 Robert Franklin Carden (1810 - 1873)
- Robert Franklin Carden was born in Coffee Co. TN and died in Pea Ridge, AR. He married Rachel Mitchell (Jan 11, 1808 - Sep 4, 1897). They are both buried in the Carden cemetery In the 1880 Census, Sugar Creek, Benton, AR, Rebecca lists her father as being born in VA. Ancestry.com mentions that he was born in North Carolina. However, Tennesse makes more sense based on his date of birth.
- 3-1 James F. Carden (1830 - Jan 28, 1917)
- James F. Carden married Matilda and had one son. He later married Abasbuin Wooley and had one daughter.
- 4-1 Robert Carden
- 4-2 Sally Carden married Jim Still
- 3-2 Thomas L. Carden (1831 - 1862)
- Thomas Carden married Polly and had at least one child. He may have died in the Civil War. There is a tombstone in the Carden cemetery for Thomas L. (last name unreadable) that lists date of death as Jan 10, 1879. Unfortunately, the date of birth does not match so it may or may not be the same person.
- 4-1 Marilda Adiline Carden (Aug 06, 1851 - Jun 29, 1900)
- On Jul 20, 1868, Marilda Carden married Robert Hall Patterson in Benton Co AR. She is buried in the Patterson Cemetery, Pea Ridge, Arkansas.
- 5-1 William Thomas Patterson
- 5-2 Sterling Price Patterson
- 3-3 John Carden (born 1833)
- 3-4 William Lewis Carden (May 10, 1836 - Dec 1, 1920)
- William Carden was born in 1836 in Chattanooga Co., TN. On Sep 11, 1857, he married Lockey Margaret Mitchell (Oct 20, 1838 - Oct 1, 1890). William served in the Confederate army, in the 15th Northwest Arkansas Mounted Rifles (see reunion picture below). William and Lockey are both buried in the Carden cemetery
- 4-1 Caldonia Emaline Carden (Sep 24, 1859 - Jan 11, 1918)
- Caldonia Carden married James Porter Stanford Dean (Feb 23, 1861 - 1924). She is buried in the Twelve Corners Cem. Benton Co. AR27
- 4-2 Cynthia Jo Carden (Apr 18, 1861 - Oct 12, 1908)
- Cynthia is listed in the 1880 census as daughter of William and Locky. On Jun 26, 1884, Cynthia married Perry Calloway Vine Dean (Jul 22, 1859 - Feb 4, 1927). She is buried in the Carden cemetery.
- 5-1 Austin Floyd Dean (Apr 28, 1885 - Sep 11, 1965)
- 5-2 Lewis Wesley Dean (Aug 1, 1887 - Apr 30, 1968)
- 5-3 Burch Estes Dean (May 13, 1892 - Oct 13, 1968)
- 5-4 Caroline (Carrie) Dean (Aug 30, 1894 - Mar 23, 1984)
- In 1926 Carrie married Lacy Robert Edwards (Jan 2, 1904 - May 25, 1949) in Gainseville, Florida. Lacy R Edwards is buried in Santa Fe Cemetery, Hampton, Florida.
- 6-1 Mildred Blanche Edwards
- On Jul 20, 1948, Mildred married Zena Tetstone in Folkston, Georgia.
- 7-1 David Ray Tetstone (ca. 1953 - Dec 21, 2004)
- 7-2 Keith Tetstone
- 6-2 Robert Earl (Bobby) Edwards
- 5-5 Hiram Calloway Dean (Mar 1897 - 1922?)
- 5-6 Mitchell Cloe Dean (Dec 23, 1900 - May 25, 1983)
- 4-3 Mary Marilda Carden (Nov 17, 1862 - Mar 25, 1955)
- On Feb 11, 1883, Marilda Carden married John Horace Buttram (Oct 20, 1864 - Jun 24, 1907) in Pea Ridge, Arkansas. Marilda is buried in the Carden cemetery. John Buttram is buried in the Buttram Cemetery.
- 5-1 Margaret Sue Buttram (Dec 25, 1885 - Oct 1, 1908). Maggie is also buried in the Carden cemetery.
- 5-2 Lewis Farmer Buttram b: 13 MAR 1888 in Pea Ridge, Arkansas
- 5-3 Nola Mae Buttram b: 11 MAY 1890 in Pea Ridge, Arkansas
- 5-4 William Ernest Buttram b: 16 OCT 1892 in Little Missouri Hollow, Jane, MO
- 5-5 Kate Lee Buttram b: 9 DEC 1895 in Little Missouri Hollow, Jane, MO
- 4-4 Margaret Matilda Carden (Apr 25, 1866)
- Margaret is listed in the 1880 census as daughter of William and Locky. She married Phillip Melanchthon Clayton.
- 4-5 Sarah T. Carden (Feb 20, 1868 - Mar. 1868)
- Sarah T. Carden is buried in the Carden cemetery. Her tombstone says that she is the daughter of W. L. & L. M.
- 4-6 Magnolia Carden (1869) listed in 1880 census
- 4-7 John Thomas Carden (Sep 30, 1871 - 1954) and Victoria Testerman Carden (1874 - 1947)
- John Thomas Carden was born in Pea Ridge, AR. On Dec 24, 1893, John Thomas Carden married Victoria Testerman Carden. They are buried in the Pea Ridge Cemetery.
- 5-1 Clara Carden married Harrison Patterson
- 6-1 Emma Patterson
- 6-2 Carl Patterson
- 5-2 Ezra Carden (Jan 27, 1896 - Nov 8, 1970)
- There is an Ezra Carden and Chester Carden buried in the Sunset Memorial Cemetery in Warden, Grant County, Washington. To reach the cemetery from I-90, take the Warden exit which will wind around left/south onto Hwy U SE for about 10 miles. This takes you through the town of Warden about 2 miles. Cemetery will be on your right.
Carden, Ezra Fealdn, b. Jan 27, 1896, d. Nov 08, 1970, Arkansas Pvt HO Co 109th Infantry WWI
- 5-3 Trudy Carden married Sally McNabb.
- 5-1 Gene Carden
- 5-4 Lockie Elizabeth Carden (Dec 14, 1899 - Apr 30, 1985)
- On Dec 24, 1922, Lockie Carden married Charles Lafayette Key (Dec 22, 1899 - Mar 14, 1988) in Benton Co., AR
- 6-1 John Key
- 6-2 Carl Key
- 5-5 Sibyl Florence Carden (Aug. 23 1901 - May 9 1986)
- 5-6 Ray Carden married Ada Ramsey
- 6-1 Virginia Carden
- 5-7 Chester Carden married Bethel Caldwell
- 5-8 Lester Carden (d. 1935) married Verble Deann
- 5-9 Gilbert Carden married Jewell Bookout
- 5-10 Mable Carden (Sep 22, 1911 - Mar 31, 2000)
- On July 28, 1928, Mable Carden married Herbert Givens (born after 1907) in Pea Ridge Benton Co AR Herbert and Mable Givens had one child. They are buried in the Pea Ridge Cemetery.
- 6-1 Mary Lee Givens married Charlie Adams.
- 6-1 Mike Adams
- 5-11 James Wilson Carden (Mar 7, 1913 - Mar 22) married Mabel Stroud
- They are buried in the Pea Ridge Cemetery.
- 5-12 Zoe Carden (Aug 14, 1915 - Sep 19, 2003)
- Zoe married Glen Foster. She died at her home in Pea Ridge, AR and was buried in the Pea Ridge Cemetery.
- 4-8 William Lee Carden (Dec 17, 1873 - 1964)
- William is listed as two years old in 1880 census. He married Estella Lucinda Pendergraft (Feb 26, 1889 - Feb 3, 1980). They are buried in Twelve Corners Cemetery.
- 5-1 Cline Adelbert Carden (Aug 14, 1916 - ?)
- Cline Carden married Eva Marie Deans (born May 1, 1918) in Brightwater, AR
- 6-1 Jerry Lee Carden
- 5-2 Madge Carden (Jan 1, 1919 - Jan 7, 1919) She is buried in the Carden Cemetery.
- 3-5 Sarah Elizabeth Carden (Jun 27, 1838 - Dec 31, 1933)
- On Jan 4, 1857, Sarah Carden married Henry Franklin Williams (Mar 31, 1835 - Jun 6, 1865). Sarah and Henry are both buried in the Carden cemetery.
- 3-6 Joel Carden (born 1841 - May 21, 1862)
- Joel apparently served in the Confederate army, the 7th AR regiment. He was captured in Pea Ridge AR, on Mar 8, 1862, and died Mar 21, 1862 of Pneumonia in Alton IL at a Civil War POW camp.
- 3-7 Rebecca E. Carden (born 1843)
- 3-8 Jane Carden (born 1843)
- 3-9 Robert Franklin Carden Jr. (May 3, 1848 - Oct 11, 1917)
- On Aug 8, 1874 Robert Carden married Lucy Burnett (Dec 27, 1852 - NOV 5, 1920) in Benton County, Arkansas. They are buried in the Pea Ridge Cemetery.
- 4-1 John Henry Carden (Jul 26, 1875 - Feb 15, 1957)
- 4-2 Thomas L. Carden (born 1879) is listed in the 1880 census as son of Robert and Lucy.
- 4-3 Alice Belle Carden (Jun 08, 1881 - Jun 16, 1973) Bill E. Southern.
- 4-4 William Franklin Carden (Sep 30, 1884 - Jun 26, 1968) married Carolyn Pace 1910.
- 4-5 Mary Ann Carden (Sep 04, 1886 - May 25, 1975) married William Chaney.
- 4-6 Rosa Jane Carden (Feb 24, 1889 - Nov 13, 1943) married George Robert Wise Dec 15, 1912
- 4-7 George Washington Carden (Oct 14, 1891 - Jun 09, 1983) married Clara Frances Clanton Dec 21, 1919.
- 4-8 Sarah Elizabeth Carden (Feb 5, 1896 - Jan 26, 1970)
- Sarah Carden married Curl Esmond Wilkins
- 5-1 Clifton Lee Wilkins
- 5-2 Elmer Gene Wilkins
- 5-3 Chester William Wilkins
- 5-4 Lester Fuller Wilkins
- 5-5 Lovell Lloyd Wilkins
- 5-6 Lucy May Wilkins
- 5-7 John Owen Wilkins
- 5-8 Carden Esmond Wilkins
- 4-9 Joseph Amos Carden (Dec 22, 1897 - Oct 30, 1980)
- Joseph Carden was born in Pea Ridge, AR. On Dec 12, 1918, he married Effie Theresa Vaughn (Sep 4, 1901 - May 10, 1981). They are buried in the Pea Ridge Cemetery.
- 2-8 Leonard Ansel Carden (1798 - 60)
- 2-9 Elizabeth Carden (1800 - Unknown)
- 2-10 Reubin Carden (1805 - 1852)
- 2-11 Lewis Carden (1809 - 1887)
ca. 1905 Cynthia Jo Carden Dean and family
Back; (L-R)Burch Estes Dean, Caroline "Carrie" Virgina Dean (Keith's grandmother), Hiram Calloway Dean.
Front;(L-R) Rev. Calloway P.V. Dean, Mitchell Cloe Dean, and Cynthia Jo Carden Dean
The two oldest children, Austin Floyd Dean and Lewis Wesley Dean had apparently already left home
(Photo courtesy of Keith Tetstone)
Detail from Civil War Reunion photo
John Hileman, William Carden and John Woodard
(Photo courtesy of Charles Putman)
Detail from Putman Renunion ca. 1919
Carl Putman, John Carden, W.T."Bill" Putman
Teresa Putman, Mrs. Carnaham, Lela Putman, Mable Carden, ?
Zoe Carden, unknown(?), Laurene Putman
(Photo courtesy of Charles Putman)
Elkhorn Tavern Reunion: circa 1918
Captain Pickens, Leno McDonald, Rev. Wilson, John Hileman, William L. Carden, John Woodard, John Hilhair, J.C. Lee, and Jimmie Long at Elkhorn Tavern in Pea Ridge, Arkansas for a reunion around 1918.
(Photo courtesy of Charles Robert Putman II)
J J Putman store in Pea Ridge, AR ca. 1914
J M Putman (JJ's brother) stands in the doorwary(behind bicycle to left)
Also, William Carden may be standing behind J M Putman
(Putman Family Papers MC 1452, 3-6-10 Special Collections,
University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayettevile)
Family Reunion 1919 (Photo courtesy of Charles Putman)
Seated Behind Table L to R: William Henry "Bill" Putman, Calvin Putman,
Wilson (Chester?) Carden, Carl Putman, Mr. John Carden, William Thomas "Bill" Putman
Front of Table on Left: Sybil Putman (standing),
Mary Ann Lee Putman, Edna Swift Putman, Mrs. Victoria Carden, Millie Lee
On Knees L to R: Joe Bogle, Joe Putman, unknown
Front of table center: Charlotte Mabry Putman Bogle (seated),
Standing L to R: John Jahu Putman, Ed Bogle Joseph Martin Putman
Front of table on right: Teresa Putman, Mrs. Carnahan (holding Rex Putman),
Lela Putman, Mable Carden, unknown, unknown
On knees L to R: Zoe Carden, unknown, Laurene Putman
Note: Several copies of this photo exist (Charles Putman, Carol Putman, and
Laurene Putman Compton. Ed Bogle is identified by Carol and Charles. Laurene
is identified based on her copy. Unfortunately, there are still several people
Sibyl or Mabel Carden, ca. 1917
Photo has Sibyl's name on the back
(Photo courtesy of Joyce McCann)
Carden family? ca. 1919
Olen Hileman and Sibyl Carden(?) (unknown)
(Photo courtesy of Joyce McCann)
Mabel Givens Obituary
April 2, 2000
Morning News of
Old Carden home, north-east of Pea Ridge, AR - Nov 20, 2007
According to Jerry Putman, his uncle, William Thomas "Bill" Putman, bought the property
from Sibyl's father, John Thomas Carden. Apparently, the old Carden cemetery is located
near the house.
Back to Main